So You Want to Build a Second-Story Addition?: An Interview with Gilbert Rocha of Rocha Construction
Tell us a little bit about your company and the services you offer.
Rocha Construction offers a full range of construction services from major additions and remodels to smaller repair jobs. However, home additions are our specialty. I'm a general contractor with over 27 years of experience who you can trust to give you exactly what you want for a fair price and who can guarantee that you will be completely satisfied with the job when it's done.
I have been doing additions for such a long time now that I know exactly what to expect and what to tell the customer to expect on an extensive construction job like an addition. I really love doing additions and I'm really good at them. I'm prepared for everything and anything that can come up on this kind of job. I have had hands-on experience with all phases of building home additions - demolition, footings, slabs, framing, plumbing, electrical, insulation, drywall, roofing, finish carpentry work, painting, tile work, etc. I've done it all!
What are some of the biggest benefits of building a second-story addition to a house?
When you add a second-story addition to a house, you increase the square footage of the living area without taking any square footage away from the area of the lot. You're building up, not out. You are able to preserve the yard and garden, the patio, the play area and the area where your kids and pets are free to run and play.
You are also doubling the square footage of the house without having to build a whole new house. Many people have chosen to tear their old house down to the slab and create a whole new home. That isn't necessary if you go with a second-story addition. You can have a "new" house, doubling the size of the old one by adding an addition.
According to Bankrate.com, you can increase the value of your home with the following home improvements:
1) A big, updated kitchen (preferably open to another room) with lots of work space, solid surface counter tops, high-quality flooring and cabinetry that is in good condition.
The kitchen is the most important room in the home since this is where we spend so much time.
2) Modern bathrooms including a master bath with whirlpool tub, double sinks, separate toilet room and separate shower stall with steam and/or multiple jets shower head.
An out-of-date bathroom can be a make-or-break point when it comes to selling your home.
3) A spacious master suite with master bath as described above, his & her walk-in closets and room for lounging.
4) Natural materials including hardwood, granite, stone, ceramic tile are “in”. Wall-to-wall carpet is “out” unless it is very high-quality. "Green" materials are a huge plus-point.
5) An overall feeling of space and light is vital.
Adding skylights, removing walls, adding windows are all things that can create the feeling of airiness and life-giving light that people are drawn to.
6) Curb appeal can increase the value of a home by up to 10%. Cosmetic repairs and improvements to create a great first impression are well worth the investment.
A new paint job, stone facing, a new garage door, outdoor lawn lighting, etc. can all contribute to make your home look extraordinary.
7) Good windows, preferably insulated, energy efficient ones, are important. The size and placement of the windows is critical. Windows, depending on their exposure, can make a big difference in the way the sun and other weather factors affect the energy usage of the home.
8) Landscaping can get overlooked by the homeowner trying to improve the value of his home but it is a vital factor.
You can totally upgrade the overall appearance of your home by adding color, texture and interesting masses with local plants that are easy to maintain.
9) Lots of storage is a big plus.
In many homes, there is wasted space that can be easily converted into storage space.
Look at your home with a "fresh eye" to find places you could add storage, like under the stairs.
Where are you storing things now? Could that space be turned into a walk-in closet?
10) A basement (must be dry), especially if it’s been converted to additional living space is a big plus.
Rocha Construction can help you with all of these home improvement projects.
Gilbert will be happy to come out and help you decide what would be the best way to add value to your home.